Thursday, November 21, 2013

Review: Yering Station

I was lucky enough to be invited to a work lunch at Yarra Valley recently where we took our clients out for a day trip. After a tour and tasting at Domaine Chandon, we settled at Yering Station for lunch.

We ordered the following entrees to share:
- Cured salmon and kingfish, lime and radish, campari dressing
- Scallops, black pudding, pea puree, pear chutney
- Verjuice rabbit rillettes, brioche, sweet garlic, baby herbs

To drink, the 2010 Yering Station Reserve Shiraz Viognier.

For my main, I had the special of the day which was Whiting and salmon tortellini.
Didn't manage to get dessert as none of my lunch companions had a sweet tooth..


Cured salmon and kingfish 


The cured salmon and kingfish was a feast for the eyes! I loved the way the dish was presented. The fish was also quite fresh, with a smooth, silky texture. Taste-wise, it was a tad too salty for my liking.


Scallops, black pudding, pea puree, pear chutney 

The scallops were fresh and paired with the pea puree and pear chutney was an interesting mix of flavours. I must admit I steered clear from the black pudding, having had a bad experience previously elsewhere (which i have yet to overcome!) The pea puree was seasoned well and had a slight crunch to it which I really enjoyed. I am generally not a huge fan of chutney, but I honestly liked the pear chutney served with the dish - the pear was not overly sweet and didn't have that artificial aftertaste in most chutneys I've tasted.


Verjuice rabbit rillettes 

The verjuice rabbit rillettes were my favourite entree. The rabbit was done really well - it was tender and juicy and well-seasoned. The sweet garlic was also a nice accompaniment to the dish. I enjoy a good brioche however in this case it was a little too soggy.


Whiting and salmon tortellini 

For the main, the whiting was cooked just a minute too long. The fish was a little tough in some parts, but you could taste the freshness of the fish. The tortellini was smooth and the salmon inside was cooked quite well.

I also really liked the Shiraz we chose as well, and being more of a white wine and moscato drinker I think that says a lot!

Overall I enjoyed the lunch at Yering Station.  I didn't feel it was extremely pricey as some reviews have mentioned, but admittedly certain elements of the dish were a bit of a hit and miss game. Would definitely love to come back and try the desserts next time.

Verdict? Good place to have a nice long lunch out at the Yarra Valley.

No comments: